Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Its a Sad Time for Print Photography

Photobucket

artist (David Van't Veen)

So I was reading a few online sources (BBC, Lifelounge) and it is confirmed that Polaroid is closing all of its American factories. last week it was announced that polaroid film production is scheduled to stop in the States, Mexico, and Netherlands. if you didn't know before, the cameras are already no longer being made. Polaroid filed for bankruptcy back in 2001 and haven't been doing well since. many people believed that Polaroid didn't want to jump or failed to jump on the digital bandwagon. it saddens me a lot to know that i will never be a able to hold a warm photo in my hand and shake it into existence. Polaroids always make me nostalgic. they remind me of the 70`s and early 80`s, my parents have boxes of photos, now slightly yellowed. i have loads of pictures of my mom and dad in their youth, and photos of me and my brother as babies. and i always liked their vintage feel. my roommate took some last year and we have them pinned on our fridges. i know the digital future of photography is pretty much a mainstay, but what about the ability to have another option? anyway, all is not lost, at least for now. the company is trying to find a corporate partner to help maintain their film developing productivity. lets keep our fingers crossed...

Photobucketartist: Toto Frima


Photobucket artist: Mare Milin

images courtesy: Polaroid

No comments: